Friday, October 11, 2013

Week 24 and etc

Monday

On Mondays I am at the elementary school.  I take the school bus with the kids.  It's about a 7 minute walk to the bus stop from my apartment.   This Monday was the beginning of the semester so I had I dress up and make sure to look nice for the opening ceremony at school.   

The day started a little late but I was making good time. Got myself prettied up a bit extra and then looked at clock.  I had completely lost track of the time and it was the time when the bus pulls away from the stop.  I grabbed my bag and ran.  When I arrived at the bus stop: no kids, no bus, no parents.  I was told that if I ever missed the bus I would need to take a taxi.  Taking a taxi would be expensive so I decided to run to the next bus stop near the train station in my dress, with makeup done, hair fixed and dress shoes.

I walk/ran for about 10-12 minutes and just barely made it to the bus stop.   My kids were a little surprised to see me.  I arrived to the bus sweaty and winded.  But I made it!  





Wednesday 

At the after school program I wear indoor shoes.  I walk in the door, take my outdoor shoes off, and then put on my indoor shoes.  These shoes are a pair of Dollar General slip on with some insoles that that I replaced.  Not quite the prettiest or fanciest shoes but they serve their purpose.  

This week I had an appointment and needed to wear my dress suit during one of my classes.   My suit is cute and looks pretty good with a pair of heels but I wear my heels outside.   So, what do I get to wear: my DG shoes.  Yay!  Not really.  Hehe.  But in Japan I've worn a few fashions I might not even consider anywhere.  


Socks and Suit





Black sock showing



Thursday

We broke piñatas a couple times this week at the elementary school. The kids made them back in August/September but the weather and holiday break prevented us from breaking them sooner.  Most of the kids didn't know about piñatas,  so it was fun to explain and show how them how wonderfully appropriate it is to make and beat a piñata.  We got dirty making the piñatas, and then creative decorating and making presents, and finally loud and silly breaking the piñata. 

I'm glad that my teachers took a chance on me doing that activity.   It was big project and I didn't quite know exactly how to manage it all.  They helped me along when I was unsure.   But if they want to do this again next year, I think it will go much smoother.  :). 

I don't have any pictures but there are a few on the website.  Click on the links belies to see some pictures.  Turn on google translate to get a very rough translation of the text.  

http://www.lilyvale.ed.jp/diary/2013/08/715/

http://www.lilyvale.ed.jp/diary/2013/10/752/







Read this sign.   It's at the train station. :). Made me giggle.  




Trash need to be separated. Japan is careful about waste and recycling.   In some public places like the train station you'll see bins like these.  








Backpacks.  These are some very sturdy bags and the price reflects that.  The bag shown is approximately $299.  A new backpack every year doesn't happen here.  







Love you lots! 

No comments:

Post a Comment