Thursday, April 18, 2013

Mito City Offices and the Mall

It has been a busy time for me in Japan.  There have been many thing for me to do and so much to learn.   A couple Monday's ago, I went to the City Offices to register.  Before I could open a checking account, get a phone, or some other important things, I need to register where I live.  I went with my manager to the Mito City office.  We took a number and waited for my name to be called.  First I registered my address and then we sat and waited for my address to be printed on my card.  Then I registered for the health care.  Afterwards we waited again.  My name was called and I registered on the pension plan, its mandatory.  At these three stations I was given pamphlets and information, all of which I cannot read unless they have English words (sidenote - Just about everything is in Hiragana or Kanji with a random words of English).  By the way, I just realized it wrote "I registred...." I didn't do much of anything beside sit there and sign when asked (Last Name followed by First Name, All Caps).  My manager did all the talking.  I now know how my clients felt when I translated for them.


 

The Mito City Offices were interesting.  That's the first place where I went to and I was surprised to find how orderly everything was.  

Once I was all registered with the office, we headed to Aeon Mall (pronounced Eon, the A is silent).  I needed a stamp for official business like the bank, signing contracts and such.  I also need a less informal stamp for stamping my time card or little things like that.  So off to the mall.  Boy oh boy of boy, was I in for a treat.  The mall is big and it has all kinds of stores including: Starbucks, Gap, H&M, McDonald's,  KFC, Subway, a movie theater and an imports store.  Also a post office and a bank in case I can't make it to the main branches.  Pretty convenient, huh?  We went to the stamp store where I a picked a stamp, a case, and a pen/stamp.  First my name was translated into syllables: Vi Vi A Na.  Next,  I chose my style, changed my mind, chose another, changed my mind, and finally stuck with the third style.  Ooops sorry!!  It was a hard choice and there were soooo many.  Since there was a wait, I was shown around the mall and because I needed a few thing we did some shopping.  One of the stops was the import store, oh joy.  There are some things I can get from back home.  I felt I really needed lemon pepper seasoning and strawberry jam from France.  Nutella was put back on the shelf for another time because well 600+ yen is a splurge (roughly $6+).  But don't you worry folks, once payday come around.... :)  After some walking, lunch, and picking up the stamp, we got some Starbucks.  Ahhh.  Since I have been in Japan, I have had quite a bit of Starbuck's like 3 times a week or more.  It's maybe because I have needed the caffeine and it's one of those comfort things as well.  



Aeon Mall at night.  Its four or five levels. 

The formal stamp.  The blue dot help me orient the stamp. 





Pen stamp.  I can't remember which way it goes.

During another visit to the mall, I entered a lottery.  For the purchases a person made, you received stamps.  Place the proper amount of stamps, fill out your info and place you card in the box.  Don't think I won but it was fun.  



And because I know you are interested in every little detail, here is a picture of my first food stamp/rewards card from a mall place.  



Whew!  It's like I just did all of that again.  Until next time.  

1 comment:

  1. Love the pics!!! Enjoying the blog!! Keep it up. Love you! And I got your raincoat and a bonus dress. The only setback was that it didn't have a hood but an umbrella should help! We hope to send it very soon!

    ReplyDelete